Areas of Expertise
- Economic Geography
- Land Change
- Ph.D. 2000. Geography, University of Illinois Dissertation: Regional Variations in Polish Peasant Farming: Composed Error, Spatial Econometric and Spatial Interaction Techniques
- M.A. 1995. Applied Economics, University of Michigan
- B.A. 1993. Economics and International Affairs, Univer sity of Colorado
My academic background is in land economics and human geography, with a focus on human-environment interactions at a landscape level. I study how changes in land-use systems, such as urban conversion or shifts in agricultural production patterns, affect forests and forest characteristics. I am fascinated by land markets because they both reflect and direct land-use change. Within this framework, I also study the role of land institutions such as protected areas in enhancing and maintaining forest cover, as well as the role of conservation in shaping ongoing patterns of land conversion. Much of my research centers on the urban-rural interface, examining how changing connections between rural and urban systems manifest in changing forest cover.
- Geography 2400 - Economic and Social Geography
- Geography 5401 - Economy, Space, Society
- Geography 5402 - Land Use Geography
- Geography 7101 - Research Design
- 2019: Munroe, D.K. and K. McSweeney. Addressing root drivers of land-climate dynamics. One Earth 1(2): 181-184.
- 2019: Munroe, Darla, Mateus Batistella, Cecilie Friis, Nestor Ignacio Gasparri, Eric Lambin, Jianguo Liu, Patrick Meyfroidt, Emilio Moran, Jonas Østergaard Nielsen. Governing flows in telecoupled land systems. Current Opinion in Environmental Sustainability. 38:53–59.
- 2019: Munroe, D., M. Crandall, C. Colocousis, K.P. Bell and A.T. Morzillo. Reciprocal relationships between forest management and regional landscape structures: applying concepts from land system science to private forest management. Journal of Land Use Science.
- 2018: Gallemore, C., D. Munroe, D. van Berkel. Rural-to-urban migration and the geography of absentee non-industrial private forest ownership: A case from southeast Ohio. Applied Geography 96: 141-152.
- 2017: Munroe, D.K. Effects of Land Use. In Oxford Bibliographies in Environmental Science. Ed. Ellen Wohl. New York: Oxford University Press. DOI: 10.1093/OBO/9780199363445-0084