Curriculum for Geography (BA): Urban, Regional, and Global Studies specialization
Urban, Regional, and Global Studies Advising Sheet [pdf]: You will need Adobe Acrobat to view this file.
Sample Four Year Plan for the Bachelor of Arts in Geography [doc]: You will need Microsoft Word to view this file.
Required Courses (9 hours)
- GEOG 2100: Human Geography
- GEOG 4101: Undergraduate Research and Professionalization Seminar*
- GEOG 4100: Geographic Inquiry**
Required Electives (complete all categories)
1. Methods courses: Choose two (6 hours)
- GEOG 5100: Spatial Data Analysis
- GEOG 5200: Cartography and Map Design
- GEOG 5201: GeoVisualization
- GEOG 5210: Fundamentals of Geographic Information Systems
- GEOG 5212: Spatial Database Design for GIS
- GEOG 5225: Geographic Applications of Remote Sensing
- GEOG 5226: Spatial Simulation and Modeling
2. Introductory and Intermediate courses: Choose three (9 hours)
- GEOG 2400 OR 2400H: Economic and Social Geography
- GEOG 2500: Cities and their Global Spaces
- GEOG 3300: Transportation Security
- GEOG 3600 OR 3600H: Space, Power, and Political Geography
- GEOG 3601: Modern Geopolitical Imagination
- GEOG 3701: Making of the Modern World
- GEOG 3702: Life and Death Geographies: Global Population Dynamics
- GEOG 3750: Geography of North America
- GEOG 3751: Geography of Ohio
- GEOG 3752: Geography of Latin America
- GEOG 3753: Geography of the European Union
- GEOG 3597.01: World Urbanization
- EARTHSCI 3411: Water Security in the 21st Century
3. Advanced courses: Choose three (9 hours)
- GEOG 5300: Geography of Transportation
- GEOG 5401: Economies, Space, and Society
- GEOG 5402: Land Use Geography
- GEOG 5501: Urban Spaces in the Global Economy
- GEOG 5502: The Neoliberal City
- GEOG 5503: Urban China: Space, Place and Urban Transformation
- GEOG 5601: Geographies of Governmentalities
- GEOG 5602: Urban Political Geography
- GEOG 5700: Geography of Development
- GEOG 5751: New Worlds in Latin America
*Geography 4101 is an upper-division course meant to be taken in the third or fourth year of study; offered AU semester only.
**Geography 4100 is a capstone course meant to be taken in the last year of study; offered SP semester only.
The General Education Requirements for the Bachelor of Arts degree are available on the College of Arts and Sciences website.
[pdf] - Some links on this page are to .pdf files. If you need these files in a more accessible format, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org. PDF files require the use of Adobe Acrobat Reader software to open them. If you do not have Reader, you may use the following link to Adobe to download it for free at: Adobe Acrobat Reader.