Areas of Expertise
- Political Economy of Development
- Environmental and Agrarian Change
- Social Theory
- Ph.D., 2003 Geography (minor in sustainable agriculture), University of Minnesota
- M.A., 1998 Geography, University of Minnesota
- B. A., (Honors), 1995 Environmental Studies, Bucknell University,
Interests: Political Economy of Development, Environmental and Agrarian Change, Social Theory
Current Research: I study political economy, development, social theory, and environmental change.
International Studies 5597.01- Introduction to Development Studies
Geography 3701-The Making of the Modern World
Geography 5801- Environmental Conservation
Geography 5700-Geography of Development
Geography Graduate Seminars in human geography and social theory
O. Nir and J. Wainwright. Eds. 2019. Rethinking Palestine and Israel: Marxist Perspectives. London: Routledge.
J. Wainwright and G. Mann. 2018. Climate Leviathan: A Political Theory of Our Planetary Future. New York: Verso
J. Wainwright. 2012. Geopiracy: Oaxaca, militant empiricism, and geographical thought. New York: Palgrave Macmillan.
J. Wainwright. 2008. Decolonizing development: colonial power and the Maya. Oxford: Blackwell Press.