Part of being a premier program is ensuring that the facilities and access to the best resources are available to our students and researchers.
The Department of Geography occupies a historic building in Derby Hall and enjoys innovative spaces that are significant points of pride for our programs.
- The Geography Instructional Labs are each equiped with 50 state-of-the-art workstations, enabling students to complete assigned GIS and spatial analysis projects using the most up-to-date GIS software. These labs also serves our Atmospheric Sciences students with their climatology/meteorology courses, gives students experience interpreting data for weather classes.
- The Sharpe Commons, Is an Undergraduate resource consisting of a Large room featuring several seating/work areas, with laptop power hook up and 4 PC workstations, 2 iMAC workstations and a white board. 12x12 foot glass enclosed meeting room with 55 inch screen display and Solstice Pod for sharing presentations and digital content, Solstice App for most clients. (More on how to connect to a Solstice Pod below. 2x2 55 inch Planar Media Wall with 4 Solstice Pods, HDMI input and a PC available for setting up on the displays using the in wall control panel to configure which devices are displayed on each screen or on the entire wall as well as which device has the sound for the room. Connect to the solstice pods using osuwireless networking and the Solstice App for most clients. 2 Ultimaker 3 3D printers that will be available to students through our lab monitors, process TBD. Programs to get to know for preparing the print jobs would be CURA 3.4 and Blender.
- The Graduate Computer Lab, a 10 workstation facility, gives graduate students a separate area for research and computer use.
- The Integrated Paleoenvironmental Laboratory equipment and workspace is devoted to recreating climate data from lake core samples and tree rings.
- The Department has a 48 seat lecture hall and two 25 seat classroom/meeting rooms equipped with the latest A/V setup including touch screen controls, available GB networked PC workstation, Blue-ray player, laptop hookup hdmi/vga, HD projection, and cameras for connecting the outside world with us.
- The Center for Urban and Regional Analysis (CURA), which partners with Geography researchers to conduct research on urban and regional issues, contributes expertise to analysis at the city, state, regional, national, and international scales.