Professor, Reusche Chair in Geographic Information Science
1176 Derby Hall
154 North Oval Mall
Columbus OH 43210
Areas of Expertise
- Mobility Science
- Sustainable Transportation
- 1991. Ph.D. (Geography), The Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio.
- 1987. M.A. (Geography), Kent State University, Kent, Ohio.
- 1985. B.A., Honors (Geography), Kent State University, Kent, Ohio.
Director, Center for Urban and Regional Analysis (CURA)
Find Harvey on Twitter
Interests: GIScience, Mobility Science, Sustainable Transportation
Current Research: My research and teaching focus on the intersection between geographic information science and transportation science. I want to understand how people use mobility and communications technologies to allocate scarce time among activities in geographic space – a perspective known as time geography. I am also interested in the social dimensions of transportation, and the implications of human mobility and accessibility for sustainable transportation, livable communities and public health. My main approach to questions of mobility, livability and sustainability is the development and application of GIS and spatial analysis techniques to extract information from fine-grained mobility and spatio-temporal data.
GEOG 5212 Geospatial Databases for GIS
GEOG 5221 Spatial Simulation and Modeling in GIS
GEOG 5301 Sustainable Transportation
- Liu, L., Porr, A. and Miller, H.J. (2022) “Realizable accessibility: Evaluating the reliability of public transit accessibility using high-resolution real-time data,” Journal of Geographical Systems, online first.
- Stiles, J., Li, Y. and Miller, H.J. (2022) “How does street space influence crash frequency? An analysis using segmented street view imagery,” Environment and Planning B: Urban Analytics and City Science, online first.
- Kar, A., Le, H.T.K. and Miller, H.J. (2022) “What is essential travel? Socio-economic differences in travel demand during the COVID-19 lockdown,” Annals of the American Association of Geographers, 112, 1023-1046.
- Li, Y., Miller, H.J., Root, E.D., Hyder, A. and Liu, D. (2022) “Understanding the role of urban social and physical environment in opioid overdose events using found geospatial data,” Health and Place, 75, 102792.
- Acton, B., Le, H.T.K. and Miller, H.J. (2022) “The impacts of bus rapid transit (BRT) on residential property values: A comparative analysis of 11 US BRT systems,” Journal of Transport Geography, 100, 103324.